This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Chocolate Chip Muffins
Why spend a fortune on chocolate chip muffins from the coffee shop when you can make your own? With this recipe, you can enjoy warm and delicious muffins straight from the oven. These muffins are quick and easy to make so they’re perfect for a morning snack or an afternoon treat. They’re so yummy, you can even serve them as dessert! With their soft, fluffy texture, rich chocolatey flavor, and irresistible sweetness, this recipe will be one you come back to time and time again.
Need other yummy breakfast options? Spice up your morning routine with my vegan, 3-Ingredient Green Juice, or a Cherry and Banana Smoothie. Both are tangy and refreshing, and very simple to make.
Why You’ll Love These Chocolate Chip Muffins
These muffins are a sweet and rich treat, with just the right amount of chocolate in every single bite. Here’s what’s great about this recipe:
- Perfectly sweet without being too sweet like many other muffin recipes
- Easy to make – just stir everything together
- They bake up nice and high with a perfectly crisp top
- They’re moist
- These muffins are filling and will keep you full all morning or afternoon
Helpful Equipment To Make these Chocolate Chip Muffins
You’ll need these tools to make your muffins!
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Cupcake/muffin tray
- Mixing bowl
- Stand mixer or hand mixer
- Large portioning scoop
- Wire cooling rack
- 2 3/4 cups of of self-raising flour
- 1 cup of caster sugar
- 3/4 cups of chocolate chip
- 1/2 cup of veggie oil
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 teaspoon of Vanilla essence
- 2 x medium eggs
How To Make Perfect Chocolate Chip Muffins
Preheat your oven to 320°F (160°C) and line a muffin tin with liners. If you don’t have liners, you can spray it with cooking spray.
In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar & chocolate chips. Use a whisk to combine everything well. Make a large well in the center of the ingredients.
In a separate bowl, whisk together oil, milk, vanilla & eggs. Pour the wet mixture into the well and whisk everything until combined.
Add the batter to muffin liners, filling each no more than 2/3 full.
Bake for 25-35 minutes, until an inserted toothpick comes out with only a few moist crumbs on it.
These muffins take 10 minutes to prep before baking them in the oven.
What Makes the Best Chocolate Chip Muffins?
What can you do to make these the best chocolate chip muffins? You can add change the flour to 2 1/4 cups and add 1/2 a cup of our secret ingredient: the addition of cocoa powder. This gives them a deep chocolate flavor that complements the chocolate chips. The fluffy, soft texture of the muffins is the result of combing self-rising flour, white sugar, eggs, and oil. Using vegetable oil instead of butter makes these muffins fluffier, but just as delicious.
If you’re feeling adventurous, try incorporating different ingredients into your muffins to create your own unique flavor. Here are some ideas:
- Add nuts – I like sprinkling some finely chopped walnuts on top before baking.
- Dried fruit – you can add cranberries or cherries. Chop them into small pieces and stir them into the batter before baking.
- Peanut butter – you can add a swirl into your batter for a peanut butter chocolate flavor.
- Sour cream – To add a bit of a tangy flavor, add a scoop of sour cream to the batter. Reduce the milk by half.
- As mentioned above, you can change the flour to 2 1/4 cups and add 1/2 a cup of cocoa powder, to make these muffins extra chocolatey!
Flour – If you don’t have self-rising flour, you can use all-purpose flour and add 1 tsp of baking powder
Milk – Substitute any non-dairy milk such as almond, soy, or coconut milk.
Vegetable Oil – Use coconut oil for a sweeter flavor
Tips & Tricks and Recipe Notes
- Don’t overmix the batter or your muffins will be tough and dry. Mix just until combined.
- Fill the muffin cups to about 2/3 full. They’ll rise nice and big without overflowing your cups.
- Keep the oven door closed as much as possible to keep the heat in.
- Quickly rotate the muffin tin halfway through the baking time so the muffins bake evenly.
- You can double this recipe. Just use a nice big bowl!
How to Store
We love eating these muffins fresh from the oven when they’re nice and warm! But you can also store them at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 3 days. They may last a day or two longer, but they’ll start to dry out.
You can also freeze them for up to 2 months in the freezer in a Ziploc bag or airtight container.
To reheat muffins, place them in the microwave with a damp paper towel on top. You can also wrap them in foil and place them in the oven at 350 F for 5-7 minutes.
What’s the secret to making moist muffins?
If you want moist muffins, always mix your dry ingredients first, then add your wet ingredients all together at the end. You want to whisk your wet ingredients beforehand, then mix them into the batter quickly.
Can I use butter instead of oil in muffins?
Yes, you an use melted butter in this recipe instead of oil. However, the muffins won’t have as flaky of a texture and will be denser instead.
Are Chocolate Chip Muffins Gluten Free?
These chocolate chip muffins aren’t gluten free, but you can substitute the flour for a gluten-free flour blend. Check your other ingredients to make sure they’re free of gluten, too!
Chocolate chip muffins are a quick and tasty treat to satisfy your sweet tooth! You’ll love the addition of cocoa powder in this recipe. It elevates the traditional recipe for chocolate chip muffins, and produces an unexpectedly yummy chocolate flavor. Whip up a batch today and enjoy the warm, fluffy, chocolatey goodness straight from the oven!Print
If you’d like to save it for later, please save it to Pinterest.