This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Vegan Zucchini Bread
This recipe for vegan zucchini bread delivers a classic zucchini bread taste without using eggs, butter, or milk. If your garden is overrun with zucchini this season, this easy vegan zucchini bread is calling your name.
Why You’ll Love This Vegan Zucchini Bread Recipe
This plant-based zucchini bread is loaded with flavor and wholesome ingredients for a fluffy and moist loaf you’ll want to make over and over again. Vegan baking at its best, with everyday ingredients and simple-to-follow instructions.
Helpful Equipment To Make Vegan
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Mixing bowl
- Food processor
- Cutting board and knife
- Loaf pan
- Wire cooling rack
- 2 cups of All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup of White Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup of Light Brown Sugar
- 3 teaspoons of Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon of Cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon of Nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon of Salt
- 1 Flax Egg (1 Tbsp Ground Flaxseed Meal + 3 Tbsp Hot Water)
- 1 cup of Shredded Zucchini (Packed Cup) (140 grams)
- 1/3 cup of Mashed Ripe Banana (76 Grams)
- 1/4 cup of Soy Milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 1/4 cup of Coconut Oil (Melted)
- 1 teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup of Chopped Walnuts (100 grams)
How To Make Eggless Zucchini Bread
Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Lightly spray a 9 x 5 loaf pan with non-stick cooking or olive oil spray or line the bottom with parchment paper.
To remove any lumps, sift the all-purpose flour into a large mixing bowl and add both the white granulated and light brown sugars, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Mix to combine.
To prepare your flax egg, mix 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed meal with 3 tablespoons of hot water and allow it to sit for a few minutes to thicken.
To a mixing bowl add the flax egg, shredded zucchini, mashed banana, soy milk, melted coconut oil, and vanilla extract. Mix to combine. Don’t worry if the mixture appears thick and looks as if you haven’t added enough wet ingredients. Leave the bowl for a few minutes and allow the zucchini to release its moisture. Mix once the water has been released and form a proper batter but do not overmix. Fold in the chopped walnuts.
Transfer the mixture to the prepared loaf pan and distribute it evenly. Sprinkle a few more chopped walnuts on top of the batter before baking it.
Bake the loaf for 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow the zucchini bread to cool slightly in the pan before removing it and placing it on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Prep time: 15 mins
- Bake for 60 mins
All About Vegan Zucchini Loaf
If you are new to vegan baking there are a few steps you may not be used to.
To bake without eggs a mixture of ground flaxseed and water is used to make a thick goopy paste. Sometimes you can substitute a mashed banana or even silken tofu to help hold the batter together.
For dairy-free baking, vegan butter or coconut oil can be used instead of traditional butter. Look for a butter substitute in the dairy case of your grocery store or in the health/natural foods aisle.
- To make a gluten-free loaf follow this simple vegan zucchini bread recipe and substitute a 1-1 gluten-free flour for the all-purpose flour.
- Add vegan chocolate chips to the batter for chocolate chip zucchini bread.
- Throw in some raisins to add more texture to the moist vegan zucchini bread.
- Instead of making a loaf bake up the batter in a muffin tray.
Tips and Tricks/Notes
- To get an accurate measure of the flour you can use the ‘spoon and level’ method where you spoon the flour into the measuring cup and level it off with a knife. Or you can weigh the flour on a food scale.
- Zucchini: I like to shred or grate my zucchini in the food processor. It’s the easiest and quickest way. You can shred it with the peel on. You can also use a large hand grater to grate the zucchini.
- Coconut oil: If you don’t have coconut oil on hand you can use a different mild flavored oil or use melted vegan butter.
- Walnuts: Walnuts are optional but recommended. Toast them for an even deeper flavor. You can also use pecans if you don’t have any walnuts.
How To Store
Storing: This zucchini bread can be stored in an airtight container on the kitchen counter for 2-3 days.
Freezing: This classic zucchini bread can be frozen for up to 4 months. Make sure it cools completely before freezing it and wrap it well in plastic wrap before placing it in the freezer. To thaw, place it in the fridge overnight. Let it come to room temperature on the kitchen counter before slicing and serving it.
Do you peel zucchini before shredding it for bread?
No, you do not need to peel the zucchini before shredding it for zucchini bread. It has a fairly thin skin so it’s fine to leave it on.
Do you squeeze water out of zucchini for bread?
No need to squeeze the excess moisture out of the shredded zucchini as it is needed to add moisture to this vegan recipe.
Why does my zucchini bread fall apart?
There may be several reasons why your zucchini bread fell apart. Vegan zucchini bread doesn’t have the eggs to bind the batter and hold it together so it is important to allow the flax egg to get really thick before you add it to the batter. It is also important to let the loaf cool before removing it from the pan and slicing it.
There is absolutely no rhyme or reason to compromise on taste, texture, or ease when following a vegan diet. Bake up this vegan zucchini bread recipe and see for yourself how tasty and simple it really is.Print
If you’d like to save it for later, please save it to Pinterest.