This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Vegan Spinach Dip
This cashew-based vegan spinach dip is loaded with flavor and fresh spinach, the ideal appetizer for your next vegan meal. Served warm from the oven this dip is perfect for sharing and super easy to make.
Why You’ll Love This Vegan Spinach Dip
This vegan spinach dip will not disappoint. Using soaked raw cashews as a base makes this dip creamy and cheesy, add in some vegan mayo for more creaminess, nutritional yeast for an added cheesy flavor, and spices to round it all out, and top with fresh spinach for the ultimate protein-rich dipping extravaganza. You’ll never miss the dairy!
Helpful Equipment To Make Vegan Spinach Dip
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Mixing bowl
- Cutting board and knife
- Wire cooling rack
- Round baking dish
Recipe Ingredients for Vegan Spinach Dip
For the Vegan Cream Cheese:
- 1 and 1/2 cups of Raw Cashews (Soaked)
- 2 tablespoons of Lemon Juice
- 1/2 cup of Canned Coconut Cream
- 1 teaspoon of Distilled White Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of Salt
- 1 teaspoon of Onion Powder
- 1/2 cup of Vegan Mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup of Nutritional Yeast
For the Onions and Spinach:
- 2 tablespoons of Olive Oil
- 1 Medium Onion (White, Yellow or Brown, Chopped)
- 1 tablespoons of Crushed Garlic
- 1 teaspoon of Dried Oregano
- 5 cups of Baby Spinach (Finely Chopped)
How To Make Vegan Spinach Dip
First, you’ll need to soak the cashews: Place the raw cashews in a bowl and pour boiling water over them. Let the cashews soak for one hour before preparing the rest of the dip. Make sure to measure the cashews before you soak them to get a more accurate weight/ measure for them. Once the cashews have soaked they will have absorbed the water and will weigh more.
After the cashews have finished soaking you can begin to prepare the dip.
Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
To a blender or food processor add the soaked cashews, lemon juice, coconut cream, white vinegar, salt, onion powder, vegan mayonnaise, and nutritional yeast. Blend until you get a smooth consistency and set it aside. Don’t remove it from the blender or food processor.
Heat olive oil in a frying pan or skillet. Once the oil is hot add the chopped onions, crushed garlic, and oregano. Cook until the onions have softened. Divide the onions in half and add half to the blender with the cashew mixture. Blend to mix the onions.
Add the chopped spinach to the onions in the frying pan and saute until the spinach wilts.
Lightly spray a 9-inch round baking dish and pour the cashew mixture into it.
Top with the sauteed spinach and onions and fold them in gently.
Bake vegan cream cheese mixture for 15 minutes or until it turns a golden brown and becomes crusty on top.
Serve with your favorite veggies, crackers, chips, or crusty bread.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cool time: 15 minutes
All About Vegan Spinach Dip
This easy vegan spinach dip is made with soaked cashews. Soaking cashews has become a popular way to add creaminess and cheesiness to vegan food. From vegan dip to vegan cheesecake you’ll find soaked cashews are the go-to ingredient in place of dairy cream cheese.
Some recipes call for soaking the cashews overnight. In this recipe, you’ll need to soak them for just one hour to get the rich creamy texture in this vegan dip.
- Use a different leafy green vegetable instead of spinach like arugula or kale.
- Serve this healthy vegan spinach dip in a bread bowl and make it a vegan bread bowl dip. I like using pumpernickel for this kind of dip, the contrast in colors looks nice. Or marbled bread would look nice too.
- Top the dip with chopped chives or green onions.
Tips and Tricks/Notes
- For the best flavor, make sure your cashews are raw and unsalted to make this dairy-free cream cheese dip.
- Use fresh lemon juice instead of bottled for the best flavor. I find lemons that have come to room temperature are easier to juice so take the lemons out before you begin to prepare the dip.
- If you don’t have fresh spinach on hand you can use a different leafy green or use frozen spinach. If you use frozen make sure to remove as much of the moisture as possible.
How To Store Vegan Spinach Dip
Store any leftover dip in an airtight container in the fridge and eat within 5 days. I do not recommend freezing this vegan cream cheese dip.
Is spinach dip supposed to be hot or cold?
This dairy-free spinach dip can be eaten hot or cold. It is really a matter of preference.
Is spinach dip vegan?
Not all spinach dips are suitable for those following a vegan diet. However, I am happy to say that this is a vegan spinach dip recipe, made without any dairy, using soaked cashews to add both a creamy and cheesy texture and taste.
You’ll be surprised at how cheesy and creamy this vegan spinach dip is. Baked to golden brown perfection with a delicious crusty top it is the ultimate dip for fresh veggies, pita, chips, or your favorite bread. It’s super easy to make and even more fun to eat!Print
If you’d like to save it for later, please save it to Pinterest.