Pancakes are a breakfast staple, but have you ever tried a Cottage Cheese Hotcake? This fluffy pancake variety is so delicious, it’s a breakfast game-changer.
With the addition of cottage and ricotta cheese, these hotcakes are packed with protein and flavor. Creamy, light, and fluffy, serve these with berries for a healthy and complete breakfast.
What are Cottage Cheese Hotcakes?
Cottage Cheese Pancakes are hotcakes made with cottage cheese and ricotta cheese. The recipe also uses almond and coconut flour, as well as coconut cream.
The result is a fluffy and moist pancake that is slightly tangy with a lightly sweet flavor. They are similar in shape to classic pancakes and can be served in much the same way.
Why You’ll Love Cottage Cheese Hotcakes
- The various kinds of cheese as well as the coconut cream make these protein-packed pancakes with plenty of healthy fats and loads of flavor.
- They are a unique twist on the classic pancake – you can serve something new for breakfast without compromising on flavor.
- They are moist and fluffy.
- It’s easy to serve this along with other breakfast foods.
What to Serve with Cottage Cheese Hotcakes:
Cottage Cheese Hotcakes can be served with tons of toppings. Here are some options to try:
- Fresh fruit like berries, bananas, or peaches
- Whipped cream or coconut whipped cream
- Maple syrup or honey
- Almond or peanut butter
- Jam or jelly
You can also serve these hotcakes with other breakfast foods like sausage, bacon, or eggs!
Is this recipe gluten-free?
Yes, this recipe is gluten-free as long as your baking powder doesn’t contain gluten. Check your ingredient labels carefully.
Helpful Equipment To Make Cottage Cheese Hotcake
These tools will help make this recipe even easier!
Cottage Cheese Hotcake Ingredients
- ½ cup full-fat ricotta cheese
- 2 whole eggs
- ¼ cup coconut cream
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Butter for frying
- 2 teaspoon almond butter
- 1 cup of coconut flour
How To Make Cottage Cheese Hotcake
Add the cottage cheese, ricotta, eggs, and coconut cream to a bowl and whisk everything together well.
Add the ground almond, coconut flour, baking powder, and vanilla extract to a second bowl and whisk together.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and whisk until the mixture is completely smooth.
Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add a scoop of butter. Once it melts, add dollops of batter onto the hot pan.
Allow bubbles to appear all over the top of the pancake. Once the entire surface is covered in bubbles, flip the pancakes over.
Serve with almond butter and berries on top, or with your favorite toppings. Enjoy!
This cheese pancakes recipe takes 10 minutes to prepare.
- If you want, you can replace the full-fat cottage cheese with low-fat or fat-free cottage cheese, but the texture and flavor might be different.
- If you don’t have ricotta cheese, you can use cream cheese as a substitute.
- Coconut cream can be substituted with heavy cream or milk.
Tips & Tricks and Recipe Notes
- Make sure to blend the cottage cheese and ricotta cheese until smooth. The combination of cheeses makes the pancakes so delicious.
- I recommend using full-fat cottage cheese and ricotta cheese. This really provides the best texture and flavor.
- Let the batter rest for 2-3 minutes before you start cooking to allow the baking powder to activate.
- Cook the hotcakes on medium-low heat so they don’t burn. If your pan starts to smoke or your pancakes are getting dark too quickly, remove the pan from the heat and let it cool.
- If you don’t want to use butter, you can spray your pan with non-stick cooking spray between each batch.
How to Store Cottage Cheese Pancakes
Leftover hotcakes can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. First, wrap them tightly in plastic wrap once they’re completely cooled.
How to Freeze Cottage Cheese Pancakes
You can freeze cheese pancakes, but you can’t just toss them in the freezer or they’ll stick together. Instead, follow these steps:
- Place the leftover hotcakes in a single layer on a baking sheet and place it in the freezer until they’re firm.
- Transfer them to a freezer bag or airtight container and freeze them for up to 2 months.
- Remove portions from the freezer as needed and allow them to thaw in the fridge for 2-3 hours before reheating.
To reheat cottage cheese pancakes, microwave them for about 30 seconds. You can also put them back in a pan over low heat until hot through.
What is a hot cake?
A hotcake is also known as a pancake or flapjack. It’s a flat cake made of a lightly sweetened batter and generally consists of flour, eggs, milk, and some kind of leavening agent like baking powder. It’s cooked in a frying pan and served hot, usually with syrup or other toppings.
Are cottage cheese hotcakes healthy?
Cottage Cheese Hotcakes can be a healthy option for breakfast if they’re made with healthy ingredients and served in reasonable portions. Ultimately, whether these pancakes are healthy for you or not depends on your own dietary needs, but here are a few facts:
Cottage cheese is a good source of protein, while almond butter is a source of healthy fats. However, the use of full-fat dairy products and coconut cream in this recipe increases the calorie and fat content, although those are considered to be sources of healthy fats.
If you’re looking to make this recipe healthier, you can use low-fat or non-fat cottage cheese and ricotta cheese, and substitute the coconut cream with non-dairy milk, like almond milk or oat milk. You can also serve them with fresh fruit instead of almond butter.
Can I make cottage cheese hotcakes ahead of time?
You can prepare the batter and keep it in the fridge for up to 24 hours. When you’re ready to cook the hotcakes, simply take the batter out of the fridge and give it a quick stir before cooking. You can also make these pancakes and freeze them to serve later. See the instructions in this post.
Cottage cheese hotcakes are a delicious and nutritious breakfast option that are sure to make your taste buds happy! Whether you’re a fan of sweet or savory breakfasts, these pancakes should satisfy! Start your day off right with plenty of protein and flavor with these cottage cheese pancakes.Print
If you’d like to save it for later, please save it to Pinterest.