This mocha smoothie recipe is the perfect way to start your day. Would you like it if your morning coffee gave you energy and kept you feeling full all morning?
This smoothie recipe contains coffee, plenty of healthy fats, and cocoa powder for incredible flavor, with no added sugar.
Just blend everything together, and you’ll be sipping on a mocha smoothie that rivals any coffee shop variety with none of the guilt.
Start your day with this mocha smoothie paired with other high-protein foods like egg muffin cups. They’re so full of veggies and eggs, and easy to grab on the go!
What is Mocha Flavor?
Mocha is a term that usually describes the blended flavor of chocolate and coffee. It’s a rich, decadent flavor that contains both the sweet notes of chocolate and the bitter flavors of coffee, giving it balance and a complexity that a regular chocolate milkshake or smoothie won’t have.
Why You’ll Love This Mocha Smoothie Recipe
- It’s not complicated. Just blend everything together and enjoy!
- It uses cocoa powder for a natural chocolatey flavor instead of sugary mocha syrup.
- It’s sugar-free. This recipe is sweetened with Stevia instead of sugar.
Helpful Equipment To Make a Mocha Smoothie
Here are the tools you need to make this cafe mocha smoothie:
Mocha Smoothie Recipe Ingredients
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 packs Stevia
- 1 cup brewed coffee, chilled
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Whipped cream (keto-friendly, if desired)
How To Make a Mocha Smoothie
To make this easy coffee smoothie, all you need to do is measure all the ingredients into your blender.
Blend until the texture is smooth and creamy.
Serve chilled in a glass with a straw. Top with whipped cream if you prefer.
This smoothie takes 5 minutes to prep.
All About Mocha Smoothies
Mocha smoothies are popular as they have both a coffee and a sweet flavor. They serve as a decadent treat any time of the day.
This mocha smoothie recipe is sugar-free and contains some healthy fats. Because it contains milk, it isn’t totally keto-free.
But you can easily replace the milk with almond milk to make it suitable for you if you are on a keto-friendly diet, or if you don’t enjoy or digest milk well.
Using almond milk instead of cow’s milk also makes this recipe vegan-friendly. This recipe is already gluten-free and suitable for a vegetarian.
- You can increase the protein content by adding a scoop of protein powder to the smoothie. Vanilla or chocolate-flavored protein powder will taste great!
- You can also try flavored coffee (like hazelnut, or use dark cocoa powder for a unique twist.
- Add bananas or berries for a fruity flavor that is even more nutritious and filling.
- Use decaf coffee in place of regular coffee if you prefer.
- Add in a scoop of non-fat or vanilla yogurt for a tangy flavor and smooth texture.
Tips & Tricks and Recipe Notes
- Make sure your brewed coffee is very cold before adding it to the blender. If you want to make these smoothies fairly often, you can freeze coffee in an ice cube tray. Once they’re frozen, place them in a Ziploc bag. Grab 4 or 5 each time you want to make a smoothie.
- Cocoa powder flavor really changes based on the quality of the cocoa. Use high-quality cocoa powder for the richest, smoothest flavor.
- Add more sweetener if you want a sweeter taste.
How to Store a Mocha Smoothie
You should be able to keep your smoothie in the fridge for up to a day, although you might find the consistency changes somewhat.
I recommend drinking your smoothie fresh, but if you want to store it, cover it tightly with a lid or plastic wrap and keep it in the coldest part of your fridge. Give it a good stir before consuming as the ingredients might separate.
If you want to freeze your smoothie, pour it into an airtight container and store it for up to 3 months.
You can allow it to thaw in the fridge for a few hours before enjoying it again. Alternatively, you can grab a spoon and eat your smoothie frozen, like ice cream.
Can I make this ahead?
Yes, you can make this Mocha Smoothie ahead of time and store it in the fridge for up to 24 hours. You can also double or triple the recipe and freeze it in batches.
Remove just enough the evening before you want to drink it and allow it to thaw in the fridge overnight.
How do you make a mocha smoothie?
To make this mocha smoothie, place all the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Serve cold, and enjoy!
Can I add coffee grounds to my smoothie?
Yes! Coffee grounds add bitterness to your smoothie, so you may want to offset the flavor with extra sweetener. But they also provide plenty of antioxidants and caffeine if you need a good boost of energy. Make sure they’re ground finely, or your smoothie may be gritty.
Is a mocha smoothie good for weight loss?
Your unique body requires different criteria for weight loss than someone else’s, and vice versa. So it’s best to ask your healthcare professional about whether this smoothie will help you lose weight. Generally speaking, this smoothie is high in protein and low in sugar, which may help some people lose weight.
This mocha smoothie is a yummy, nutritious way to start your day or replenish your energy after a workout. It’s a rich and filling smoothie that satisfying and keeps you feeling full for hours.
This recipe is easy to customize based on your preferences and dietary needs. Keep this recipe handy when you need a quick breakfast or if you just want a sweet treat without the coffee shop lineup!Print
If you’d like to save it for later, please save it to Pinterest.